Installing Robot Framework, RIDE IDE for automation testing with Python without Admin rights
Steps for Installing Robot Framework for Python without Admin rights and installing relevant libraries such as wxPython, Robot Framework, RIDE IDE, Robotframework Selenium for setting up environment for automation testing.
Robot Framework can work with multiple programming language, we will be installing it with with Python version 3.7.0, the reason is I tried installing with the recent versions of Python but they were not stable yet in regards to the installation latest version of libraries. That’s why we will be utilizing Python 3.7.0. which is a tried and tested stable build.
Where to Install Python 3.7.0 ?
Python Release Python 3.7.0
Release Date: June 27, 2018 Python 3.7.0 was the initial feature release of Python 3.7. There are now newer bugfix…
The above link contains a stable build of Python 3.7.0, since I’ll be installing for Windows with system type 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor, I have highlighted the relevant executible file. Save and Run the relevant file based on your system.
Installing Python without Admin Rights
- Run the downloaded Python Installer.
Uncheck ‘Add Python 3.7 to PATH’ & uncheck ‘Install launcher for all users (recommended)’ and then select ‘Custom Installation’
2. Uncheck ‘for all users (requires elevation)’. We will be installing for the current user so that we can proceed even without admin rights.
3. In custom install location provide the below path, the reason is this will be accessible by the system without requiring admin rights.
4. Setup completion message for Python 3.7.0
Setting up Environment Variables
From search go to ‘Edit environment variables to your account’ and we will just modify variables for our user and not modify any system variables.
- Set the PYTHONPATH variable to C:\Users\Public\Python\Python37
2. select the Path variable (seen in above image) and edit it. That will open the below window where we can append the directories.
Append these to 3 directories to Path variable.
We are going to provide the below versions for the libraries, because they are tried and tested to work seamlessly in python and with each other. If you want you can change the version if needed as per your discretion.
Open cmd and type in the following pip commands:
- For Installing wxPython for GUI
pip install wxPython==4.0.7.post2
2. Installing Robot Framework
pip install robotframework==3.1.2
3. Installing RIDE, Integrated Development Environment (I.D.E.)
pip install robotframework-ride==22.214.171.124
4. Installing Robot framework Selenium library
pip install robotframework-seleniumlibrary==4.4.0
You are all set now you can run ride.py from cmd prompt
or search and run RIDE editor to access it.